The Social Diary ~
on-line magazine covering High Society ..& more
- Part III
by The Social Diary Columnist &
Photographer Margo Schwab
Day 3 started
with another perfect, sunny day. A day of great Davis Cup tennis,
great eats, like the homemade Romanian sausage sandwiches by Chef
Bernard, autographs and people watching.
Everyone was happy,
except for a few counterfeiters. The eagle eyed
security team spotted and nabbed the individuals with fake credential
passes in hand.
- Scott Johnston with event volunteer and special guest Bob Porter,
Romanian Team Captain Florin Segarceanu leading the Opening Ceremony
- Andy Roddick and James Blake - photo courtesy and copyright
of Ron Harkins)
(pictured here - Margo Schwab,
group shot - Ron Harkins with 85's National Women's Champions
- Pat Yeoman, Jean Harris, Maxine King and Dodo Cheney - photos
are the courtesy and copyright of Ron Harkins)
- Stephan McKellar with friend, Scott Johnston, Romanian fans)
- Scott Johnston, Margo Schwab - Schwab photo credit is courtesy
and copyright of photographer Ron Harkins)
The matches were tight with
the USA leading just 2-1 in the "Tie" against Romania.
Andy Roddick, still visibly pale from possible
food poisoning a few days before, pulled it together for a win
against Razvan Sabau, thus clinching the USA's
quest for a Davis Cup victory.
The USA team players enjoyed
a parade around the court with the American flag before the final
- Drew Senyei and Donald Cohn, USA team parading the flag after
Day 3's first match win of Roddick vs. Sabau giving the USA the
Davis Cup win)
Romanian's star up and comer,
Horia Tecau, showed his great potential against
James Blake. Blake played well though too and
ended the matches with a win.
But all participants felt
like winners. It was a privilege to watch world class tennis,
at a world class venue.
Chris McKellar reflected,
"I know my cousin Bill Kellogg is a capable
guy, but how did he arrange for that bluebird weather, great tennis,
Roddick's comeback, John McEnroe's comic entertainment,
and all the smiles and excitement in the grandstands? Job well
Event volunteer and ticket
holder Bob Porter stated it well too. "What
I will always remember is the view of the stadium looking over
the pond with the swans and ducks and all of the flags. What a
great ambiance. No wonder USTA wants to have repeat opening Davis
Cup rounds at the LJB&TC."
spoke of his late Grandfather, William S. Scripps who founded
the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club back in the 20's. Bob stated
his Grandfather would be thrilled to know that the LJB&TC
had hosted the Davis Cup, and had done it so well. Bob, true to
Kellogg correctness, was dressed as his Grandfather would be.
Jacket and patriotic tie of course.
And so this round of the Davis Cup "Tie"
ended, but not the spirit. The international spirit of good sportsmanship,
volunteerism and positive acts like youth tennis clinics at the
Barnes Tennis Center, all reflect the core of the Davis Cup.
As they say in Romanian, 'La revedere'.....
or bye til next time!
The Social Diary
would like to give special thanks to the players, the La Jolla
Beach & Tennis Club, specifically, William J. Kellogg and
Pierrette Featherby, the Davis Cup, Tim Curry and the USTA Staff
and the ITF.
- Romanian's Razvan Sabau at the press conference)
- Andy Roddick fans)
- Andy Roddick at the press conference)
- Andy Roddick, Tim Curry of the USTA and security leaving the
press conference right into the waiting fans)
- Andy Roddick signing autographs and posing with fans)
- Bill Kellogg, President of the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club
and Chairman of the USTA Davis Cup Committee, with his daughter
Tiffany Worst Kellogg)
- Lornie Kuhle's tennis friend Tony, James Blake and Horia Tecau)
(pictured here - Dr. Tim
Canty, injured Victor Hanescu leaving after cheering Romania on
in the last match)
- James Blake and Andy Roddick leaving - photo is courtesy and
copyright of photographer Ron Harkins)
- reporter Margo Schwab, Bud Collins of
(pictured here - Romanian
fans posing with, and getting autographs from Romanian tennis
player Horia Tecau)
(pictured here - Hector
Tecau leaving after the final match, press conference and autograph
signing, John of the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club)
- USA's James Blake coming to his final press conference of this
Davis Cup "Tie")
- The Marines who were in uniform and with flags for the Opening
Ceremonies, San Diego's Finest, the San Diego Police Department
Special Event's Security Team with Scott Johnston)
- banners at the entrance to the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club)
- Lornie Kuhle, Bob Kellogg and Lornie Kuhle)
- Bob Kellogg, Lornie Kuhle, John McEnroe and friend)
- Susan, and friend with Ted Hagey)
- Wendy Kellogg, the Union Tribune's sports reporter Jerry Magee
and Bob Kellogg, Chef Bernard Guillas and Margo Schwab)
* Margo Schwab has
produced, written, interviewed and photographed for various media
organizations since 1989. Schwab has a B.A. degree
from Scripps College and a Masters of
Business degree from the University of San Diego.
Schwab volunteers for numerous charity organizations. She also
continues to lobby for water safety and for family violence mitigation.
Schwab is the owner and publisher of The Social Diary.
to New this Week......Davis
Cup Part I....Davis Cup Part II.....Davis
Cup Column Archives.........
** photos, video and writing on this site are the
of the author, The Social Diary, San Diego Social Diary, margomargo.com
and Margo Schwab.
reproduction of any part or parts is allowed without written permission
by Margo Schwab